R Ashwin 100: Playing at home, Ravichandran Ashwin followed a five-wicket turn with a century of testing.
On day three of the second Test of the ongoing English tour of India in Chennai, Indian Ravichandran Ashwin criticized all of the critics of Chepauk’s pitch with his bat marking his fifth century of testing.
Coming to bat at No.8 in the 37th, Ashwin joined captain Virat Kohli on a surface which had seen the Indian First Order collapse for few runs today.
What followed was a 96-year partnership between Kohli and Ashwin which strengthened India’s position in the game. Ashwin, who scored his first limit of the second delivery he faced, scored another in the same course to give early clues of him looking unfazed by the pitch.
As Kohli presented a masterclass by blocking the English bowlers with the utmost comfort, Ashwin continued his fast run with great authority.
Completing his half-century not long after Kohli broke the 50-point mark, Ashwin appeared to equal his captain with the bat in hand. Once Kohli was laid off in the 66th, there was a general assumption that India was regrouping without Ashwin hitting the triple-digit mark.
Beating at 56 * at that point, Ashwin raised the bar knowing he was in a race against time to complete his century. Ashwin, who needed 18 points when India’s No.11 Mohammed Siraj entered at bat, beat wisely to keep Siraj from hitting as much as possible while taking calculated risks himself to reach the triple-digit mark. in 82nd place.
R Ashwin 100
Chepauk applauds you, the country applauds you 👏 Ashwin, what an overall performance! @ ashwinravi99
– Shikhar Dhawan (@ SDhawan25) February 15, 2021
– Wasim Jaffer (@ WasimJaffer14) February 15, 2021
Ashwin’s joy at reaching his hundred spoke volumes. He has lost a place in the XI a few times because of his stick. But those rounds in Sydney sparked a revival. Surely he is now aiming for 10 wickets to go with that.
– Sambit Bal (@sambitbal) February 15, 2021
– BCCI (@BCCI) February 15, 2021
Century and a 5-for by Indians in the same test match:
R Ashwin – 3 times
All other Indians – 2 times (Mankad in 1952 and Umrigar in 1962)#INDvsENG
– Bharath Seervi (@SeerviBharath) February 15, 2021
– Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) February 15, 2021
– Hemang Badani (@hemangkbadani) February 15, 2021
– Gaurav Kalra (@ gauravkalra75) February 15, 2021
Great things never come out of the comfort zone and it’s a good shot @ ashwinravi99 Also showed it’s going to be batting hard on this pitch, but tough doesn’t mean impossible. Nothing but RESPECT Ash🙏 #INDvsENG pic.twitter.com/1S2Wdiv83Y
– VVS Laxman (@ VVSLaxman281) February 15, 2021
Wonderful Ashwin. I was starting to fear that the drummer in him would be lost. On a difficult track, this century is a gem.
– Harsha Bhogle (hobhogleharsha) February 15, 2021
Bow down @ ashwinravi99 : five wickets and now a ton, that too at home .. one of the great overall performances of Indian cricket .. the third time he made the double .. only Ian Botham is now in front with 5! 👍👍
– Rajdeep Sardesai (@sardesairajdeep) February 15, 2021
Well done the Super King of Chennai !! Brilliant 100 by Ravi Ashwin …
– Nasser Hussain (@nassercricket) February 15, 2021
– Isa Guha (@isaguha) February 15, 2021
Yes Ashwin 👏🏽👏🏽 Better done Siraj….
– Lisa Sthalekar (@ sthalekar93) February 15, 2021
– Ian Bell (@Ian_Bell) February 15, 2021
I seriously think this heroic effort to save the Sydney Test just brought back Ashwin’s confidence and his mojo with the bat. Always been a capable lower-ranking batsman, but his stick was in decline in recent years. It has been great of her. Played Ash! #INDvENG
– Raunak Kapoor (@RaunakRK) February 15, 2021
For more information on cricket, click here.