Garage doors are an essential part of any home. They not only protect your car but also provide a convenient entrance to your home. However, like any other mechanical system, garage doors can break down and require repairs.
And just like any other repair, garage door repair costs money. But what are the costs of garage door repair, and what do you need to know before you get your garage door fixed? In this article, we’ll explore the cost of garage door repair and provide you with some helpful tips on how to save money on your repairs. You can also learn more in detail about garage door repair costs by clicking on the website of Gateway Door St. Louis.
The Cost of Garage Door Repair
The cost of repairing a garage door varies depending on the type of repairs needed. Here are some of the most common garage door repairs and their associated costs:
- Broken springs: Broken springs are one of the most common garage door repairs. Garage door springs typically last around 10,000 cycles, so if you use your garage door frequently, you’ll likely need to replace your springs at some point. The cost of replacing a broken spring ranges from $150 to $350.
- Broken cables: The cables on your garage door help to pull the door up and down. Over time, these cables can wear out and break, which can cause your garage door to stop working. The cost of replacing a broken cable ranges from $150 to $200.
- Broken rollers: The rollers on your garage door help it move up and down smoothly. If the rollers break or wear out, your garage door can become loud and difficult to operate. The cost of replacing a broken roller ranges from $100 to $150.
- Off-track door: If your garage door is off its track, it won’t open or close properly. The cost of repairing an off-track door ranges from $125 to $150.
- Door opener repairs: The garage door opener is the motor that pulls the door up and down. If the motor breaks, your garage door won’t work. The cost of repairing a garage door opener ranges from $150 to $350.
Tips for Saving Money on Garage Door Repairs
1. Regular Maintenance
The best way to save money on garage door repairs is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Regular maintenance is essential to keep your garage door in good working condition. This includes lubricating the moving parts, tightening loose bolts and nuts, and checking the spring tension. Neglecting regular maintenance can lead to costly repairs down the road.
2. Do It Yourself
If you’re handy with tools, you can save money on garage door repairs by doing it yourself. There are several online tutorials and videos available that can guide you through simple repairs such as replacing broken springs or cables. However, it’s important to know your limits and not attempt any repairs that are beyond your skill level. Attempting complex repairs without the proper knowledge and tools can lead to serious injury.
3. Shop Around
Don’t settle for the first garage door repair company you come across. For instance, if you want to do Garage Door Repair in St. Louis, shop around and compare prices from different companies. Look for companies that offer free estimates and warranties on their work. Don’t be afraid to negotiate the price or ask for discounts. Many companies offer seasonal discounts or promotions that can help you save money.
4. Use Coupons
Coupons are a great way to save money on garage door repairs. Check your local newspaper, online coupon sites, or the company’s website for coupons and discounts. Many companies offer coupons for first-time customers or repeat customers. Be sure to read the fine print and check the expiration date before using a coupon.
5. Choose Quality Parts
When it comes to garage door repairs, choosing quality parts can save you money in the long run. Cheap parts may seem like a good deal at first, but they may break down sooner and require more frequent repairs. Quality parts may cost more initially, but they will last longer and require fewer repairs.
6. Preventative Measures
Preventative measures can also help you save money on garage door repairs. Install a surge protector to protect your garage door opener from power surges. Keep the area around the garage door free from debris and clutter to prevent damage. Also, make sure that the garage door opener is installed properly and that the safety features are functioning correctly.
Garage door repairs can be expensive, but with the right knowledge and a little bit of effort, you can save money on your repairs. Regular maintenance, DIY repairs, comparing prices, and choosing quality parts are all great ways to keep your garage door working smoothly and save money on repairs. Remember, a little bit of effort now can save you a lot of money in the long run.